Sunday, July 24, 2011

Book Love: DogFish

Title: DogFish
Author: Gillian Shields
Illustrator: Dan Taylor


Why I Love this Book: I was browsing in a bookstore when I found this book, and it just put a smile on my face. I love the underlying theme of optimism, and making the most of what you have. The boy in the story has a pet goldfish, but really wishes it was a dog. Since his family can't have a dog, the boy decides to pretend and in the process discovers that he has a great pet in his goldfish. The text is written from the boy's perspective and reflects child-like thought processes and perceptions, which makes for a delightful read. This is a story that kids can make a connection with, and can be used as a backdrop for discussions on needs and wants, and being happy with what you have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment