Wednesday, April 11, 2012

When I Grow Up...

When I was a kid and people asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up,  I would usually say one of three things:
1. A Veterinarian
2. An Author
3. A Teacher

Now I am considered to be "grown up,"
and I no longer have any desire to work closely with animals.
But I do still have dreams of becoming a children's book author someday,
and I feel lucky to be working as a teacher.
 Sometimes you never know where life is going to take you,
but I'm glad that I ended up in a place where I wanted to be. :) 

When I asked my Kindergarten kids what kinds of jobs they would want to do when they grew up, I got a lot of different responses. Many kids would change their minds from day to day...or even minute to minute. One girl said "Mrs. Carruth, I want to be so many things when I grow up...a teacher, an artist, a ballerina, a mom...I can't even decide!"  It's so fun to be a part of that dream-making process with kids so young. They are so imaginative, and at this point in their life, truly anything seems possible. In fact, several boys in my class decided they definitely wanted to be ninjas, and several girls wanted to be princesses. I love it. And who am I to dash their dreams, and tell them that jobs like that might be a little hard to come by...?

I hope you enjoy this collage artwork from our jobs unit as much as I did! 



(Left) "regular person..I want to be like my Mom." So cute. 

(Left) "Police Man...I help people." (Right) "Mail Carrier...I can go travel the world."


  

No comments:

Post a Comment